Tuesday, July 17, 2012
Monday, July 16, 2012
Wednesday, July 11, 2012
I've read Utopia.
People throw that term around a lot. It's meant to describe an idyllic nation of happy, happy people.
Actually, here's what the book describes:
- A place where petty criminals are made into slaves, for life.
- A place where, in order to take a holiday from your town, you need to get permission to abscond from your career-chip-style job.
- A place where only those who don't cause any problems and are happy to live out a life of servitude to the status quo can survive.
Just seems like something to think about for those who think that there is an easy solution to creating the ideal situation on earth for everyone.
Sometimes, literature just doesn't live up to reality.
Monday, July 9, 2012
Saturday, July 7, 2012
- The unsubstantiated beliefs, themselves, and
- The fervour with which belief systems are defended by their adherents.
Thursday, July 5, 2012
It's the day I'll use the last trip on my last value Metcard, and will effectively be forced to buy a Myki card.
The sale of multi-trip value cards stopped at the end of June, and I had meant to stock up on a few hundred dollars worth beforehand, to delay the inevitable, but I forgot about it, due to focussing on a long essay for uni.
Instead, I'm going to be forced to use the worst public transport ticketing system I've ever seen.